Saturday, March 10, 2012

Can I give my computer priority over the others on my wireless network?

I have a BT business hub, and there can be 3 or 4 computers, including the PS3 connected wirelessly at anyone time. I use my computer for work and when someone is doing something over the network, like streaming video or playing games my broadband performance suffers.



I would like to know if I can give my computer priority to get what it needs, even at the expense of the other networked computers.



Thanks, Ben.Can I give my computer priority over the others on my wireless network?
This can be done.



You cannot do it with the home grade routers however.



You need routers and switches that provide 802.1p QoS capability and you need to properly program them. These are substantially more costly than home grade devices.



Look into Adtran Netvanta 1221 R for an integrated managed switch and router that will do the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment