Wednesday, March 7, 2012

How do I configure my computer to be able to act as a server (host) for my second computer using crossover?

I have one computer running Vista which is connected to the internet and I want to be able to get the internet on my second computer (that's got XP) which is connected via a crossover cable. What do I need to set to be able to surf the net on my second computer?

The LAN connection is running fine, I just don't know what to set and where to get the net working on my XP computer.How do I configure my computer to be able to act as a server (host) for my second computer using crossover?
Internet Connection Sharing (on the machine already connected to the Internet) should do what you want, but a router is indeed a better way to go. My wife and I have XP on our machines and when I switched from connection sharing to a router, her throughput sped up greatly.



Second to that is the fact that the client machine is dependent on the host machine being available. If the host machine goes down, the client is off the Internet. What happens if your Vista machine gets some malware that keeps it from getting to the Web for help? The XP machine can't get there either.



More expensive hardware wise? Yes, but a better configuration. By the way, if your machines are close enough to use a crossover cable, you don't even need to go wireless to a router. You can direct connect both machines.



Hope that helps.How do I configure my computer to be able to act as a server (host) for my second computer using crossover?
you need to be running ICS on the second computer....however,it's much easier to have a router and have both computers connected to the router. the internet connection goes to the router from your modem and both computers access the internet by connecting to the router via ethernet or wireless.

No comments:

Post a Comment