Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What would you like to learn to do on the computer, but have not had time to learn?

I am excellent with computers and technology, so I am going to start up a YouTube account that features videos I will make explaining how to do various things on the computer, internet, etc. that people would be interested in learning how to do, but may not know how to go about learning.



Some ideas I have so far:

-Download songs from YouTube and save on computer for free

-Basic editing in photoshop (black and white, blurring, and/or selective color)

-Speed up web browsing in Firefox

-Download a torrent

- Simple steps to make GMail more efficient

Etc.



I have a few ideas on things people might find useful, but what would you personally like to learn? I am interested in seeing what people are curious to know about so I can make videos helping them.



THANK YOU!What would you like to learn to do on the computer, but have not had time to learn?
If you are excellent they why do the basics? I think 90% of the things you mentioned people have covered. If not youtube already has tons of videos on how to do those things.

The first thing you should do is target the masses. I would think the breakdown of computer know how is as follows:

Group A. The number of people who are turning on a computer for the first time ever (without ever using one some place else or having friends/family to help with the basics) is about 10%

Group B. The number of computer gurus who know everything about everything (not just everything about one thing or some things) is about 10%

Group C. That leaves about 80% who need to know beyond the basics. So why not target them

Some of the things that I have had to teach myself over the last year (with free software)

1. For picture editing: Ok there are buttons that say blur, swirl, B%26amp;W, resize and and things. So all of that is easy and a chimp could do it. How to you add effects? How to make metal shimmer or overlay 1 picture onto another %26amp; things like that.

2. Video editing: With all the new TV's. Blu Ray Players, Play Stations, Roku, and things of that nature.... They will all let you watch videos/movies on your TV. The problem is that they only support certain video/audio types. So I download a video converter and convert it (again no big deal as a 6 year old can do it). But things the average person has no clue about... I had the movie U571 but when the germans were talking, the words were not written on the bottom of the screen in english. It would have been nice for a place that explained that is what those srt files are and how to embed it in the video. If my device plays mp4 files or mkv files, I have them in that format why will they not play. It would have been nice if there was a place that would have told me that it is the audio causing the problems. What free software I needed to use to just convert the audio in 10 mins, without converting the entire movie in 2 hours.

3. That mp4 files and m4v files are the exact same things. You do not have the spend two hours converting it. All you need do is change the file extension.

4. Getting files off of youtube was easy for me. Getting parts 1 - 6 and making it into one non flv file was not so easy.

5. Downloading torrents was rather basic. In the last week they have made it so browsers like chrome, IE, firefox can not open them. So now what? It took me days to figure out the work around.

6. The only thing I know about firefox is what I hear. What I hear is a lot of new computer users using it cuz people told them to. When asked why they have no clue. I have heard that it is nice since it is open source code. Well that is nice for people who can do code. It also has the drawback of it is very easy to mess with. I have also heard about the many sites/things that do not support it. So where is the video comparing it to chrome and why it is truly better?

7. Youtube in itself is a chore. If I had a dollar for every time a person asked me how to upload videos and things, I would have more money then Bill Gates.

8. File sharing: I get asked a lot about sending HUGE files to other people. Most e-mails have a very small cap on the size and are very slow. There are a bunch of people who have no desire to use peer to peer sites with all the bad stigma. How do they send large files to their friends for free.

These are just some of the many things I did not know the answers to, or get asked a lot. You really can not ask them in yahoo answers cuz it is a little more complex then making a color picture into a black and white one.What would you like to learn to do on the computer, but have not had time to learn?
All of those things listed sound like lifehacker material. Most people already know how to do all those things, but you'd be surprised just how many complete morons there are in the world. Why just yesterday someone I know had an account banned on a forum and he uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled it because he thought the problem would be fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment