Wednesday, February 29, 2012

How fare is it to judge a cyclist's ability based on looks alone? bq?

%26amp;



to what extent is "it's not the bike it's the rider"/"it's not the car, it's the engine" true?



BQ: Where is your cycling computer mounted? I recently moved my computer to my handlebar stem, is there a reason why most cyclists have it on top of their handlebars?



BQ2: Can you see anybody right now breaking Pantani's record on Alp D Huez?How fare is it to judge a cyclist's ability based on looks alone? bq?
it;s not the speed
it;s the fashion
oh wait
that was meant for fixie gazette
plaid wheels rule


WORSTANSWER
Tricky



Youmcan put a poor rider on a great bike, and a,greatnridernon a poor bike. The good rider will always prevail.



I mont mine,on my handlebars, but on my road bikes, on my aero bars. The universal mounts work well there.



No, plantain is good to go for a while.



SoccerrefHow fare is it to judge a cyclist's ability based on looks alone? bq?
Looking good makes a rider confident. Confidence inspires better training and racing, similar to Thomas the Tank Engine's "I think I can, I think I can." That's why most serious cyclists shave their legs. Hair hides the muscle definition -- when shaven, cyclists feel stronger and more powerful, which helps them envision themselves riding faster. This does lead to riding faster -- not much faster, but sometimes a second or two is all you need to make the difference between winning and losing.



To an extent, the bike doesn't make a difference. But when you've been riding for a while, you start to notice the nuances that differentiate a nice bike from a great bike -- shifting, frame/wheel stiffness, suspension designs if you're on a mountain bike, etc. By the time the bike makes a difference, though, the rider has already done all that he can in order to become the best rider possible. However, the inverse is still true -- a Tour de France rider will still kick my *** in a race, regardless of the bikes being ridden.



BQ: Mine is on the handlebar, because that's the type of mount that came with it.



BQ2: If someone wanted to break Pantani's record, they would be training specifically for it. I have no doubt it can be done, but the world's top riders train specifically for the Grand Tours, not so much for fame any longer.
There is nothing wrong with judging a riders ability based on looks, but it might not always be what it seems.



For example, I did my second major MTB race last year. One thing I learned is that no matter the bike, gear, outfit it's hard to judge a rider. I came across several people with fancy bikes, all the top gear but where not that great of a rider. They would walk up the hills, or not have good riding techniques. They had all that stuff for personal reasons i can't explain.



All I'm saying is you can judge all you want ,but sometimes it not what it seems.



BQ: on top of my handle bars so I can clearly see it.



BQ2: I don't know who or what that is?How fare is it to judge a cyclist's ability based on looks alone? bq?
BQ: I mount my computer on the top of my handlebars. Why do most people mount it there? Ummm so you ca see it?

No comments:

Post a Comment